Things I've Learnt From My First Year of University



I can't believe that my first year of university has now come to an end! In some ways it feels like the whole year has flown by and in other ways it feels like it's dragged on forever. I wanted to write down some things that I've learnt from my first year of uni that I can remember going into next year and also because I thought it might be helpful for any uni freshers out there (or not, haha)!

~*~ The first semester was harder than the second semester. Although I found my second semester emotionally taxing and tiring at times, I felt way more settled and confident than I did in my first semester which of course made my second semester a better experience.

~*~ It's completely OK to question your degree and even change it if it doesn't feel right or comfortable! I changed to a different degree in my second semester and I'm so much happier at uni because of it.

~*~ It's better to do courses that you enjoy than courses that seem more sensible but you don't like (or in my case hate so much, end up failing it).

~*~ Just because you love a subject, doesn't mean that you'll enjoy it at university. This is probably the biggest thing I learnt this year. I took history and marketing in my first semester because I've always been a history nut and I've been interested in marketing ever since I started blogging. But both courses were so boring and I wish I'd dropped them!


~*~ Try and hold onto some form of enjoyment and appreciation of your learning even when it feels like the least enjoyable thing in the world. Honestly, it does help put things in perspective, plus makes you feel a bit more grateful at having the access to the education even if you're feverishly trying to finish an essay at 2AM in the morning.

~*~ ASK FOR THINGS! You've paid a university institution a hell of a lot of money and you have a right to every free service they offer! So ask questions about things you're not sure about, email lecturers and visit them in their office hours, seek out librarians, take advantage of academic skills and help, pester student advisors, grab any work experience opportunities, make the most of student benefits/discounts and library cards, etc

~*~ Don't buy textbooks unless your library has zero physical or ebook copies. I've spent SO MUCH money on textbooks I didn't need this year. Always look for second hand copies online. If you're desperate for new or can't get them second hand, check out Book Depository!

~*~ The most important thing I learnt this year: find something you enjoy that has nothing to do with uni at all. For me, that was blogging, reading and writing for myself. It honestly helps so much to have something that's just for yourself.


what are some things that you learnt in your first year of uni that you really wish you'd known beforehand??