5 Things About When It All Went To Custard by Danielle Hawkins


Thank you Harper Collins NZ for the review copy!



1) It's been so long since I last read a Danielle Hawkins book and from the first page of WHEN IT ALL WENT TO CUSTARD I was reminded why I love her books so much! This book is absolutely trademark Danielle Hawkins - funny, heart warming, realistic and so, so good. Reading her books is like reading a hug and WHEN IT ALL WENT TO CUSTARD was no different.

2) 10/10 points for humour and swoony romance! The humour was spot on and made me cackle out loud more than once. It was also really nice to read a romance with a single mum as the main character as I don't feel that's super common in romance? Anyway, I loved the swoony but realistic romance with my favourite tropes like grumpy hero, smart heroine, snarky humour and a HEA - all my favourite things!

3) I adored the New Zealand setting SO MUCH. I don't read/find it hard to find very many books set in New Zealand so I'm used to reading books set in settings and places I have absolutely no clue where anything is or nothing is familiar to me. The rural New Zealand setting of CUSTARD was so familiar to me and I loved being able to recognize names and places of things or know where they are! It's the small things!

4) Not the most exciting book I've ever read but it gripped me from the first page and gave me an escape from looming uni assignments! Definitely recommend if you're looking for something relaxing and unstressful to read. HEA is included!

5) Will absolutely reread again and again! Contemporary romance done THE Best. So cozy and heartwarming but also realistic and very clever. If you like Lucy Parker definitely give Danielle Hawkins a try!


Buy from Mighty Ape / Buy from Paper Plus / Buy from Whitcoulls 


have you read anything by danielle hawkins! i recommend WHEN IT WENT TO CUSTARD or CHOCOLATE CAKE FOR BREAKFAST if you're not sure which of danielle's books to start with first!